I have been feeling like I'm stuck in that rut lately, and I know it is up to me to get out of it. So I have been writing down things I want to do now, in the short term future, and in the long term future.
I have also been writing down ways to get out of that rut and thought maybe you would find those ways useful too.
FIVE WAYS TO GET OUT OF A RUT:
1) Write down the changes you want to make in your life. How do you see yourself a month from now? a year from now? five years from now? Where do you want to be? What do you want to be doing? Is there someone you would like to be with?
2) Change your focus. We are often stuck in a rut because we are too focused on the past. It's time to embrace whatever happened in the past and let it go. If you have regrets, acknowledge them, give them a big hug, and send them on their way. If you are focused on a time in your life when things seemed wonderful, remember that time fondly, but recognize that this moment is your life now, and life can be wonderful in each moment. Focus on new ways to make your life wonderful (see #1)
3) Recognize that it is time to move on. We often get stuck in a rut because we are afraid to move on. We get comfortable in our old slippers and the thought of putting on a new pair scares us. It is important to recognize if you have become complacent, because things are really wonderful or because you don't want to face changes. In this instance setting goals can be helpful. Start small and work up to what you really want to see happen in your life.
4) Recognize your roadblocks and how to get around them. We all put up roadblocks in our lives. We see them as keeping us from danger, but often they keep us from moving on, from making positive changes in our lives. Once you recognize the roadblocks you have set up, think of ways you can get around them. What are some things you can do differently to reach the destination you want?
5) Take a look at your feelings. Often it is our feelings that are holding us back. Depression and anxiety can keep us in a rut. If you are feeling depressed or anxious, try to look at what is bothering you from a new perspective. Know that you are never alone in your feelings, and if you are unable to overcome these feelings on your own then seek out a professional to help you overcome them.
Life has so much to offer all of us. Everyone deserves happiness. Don't let being in a rut keep you from that happiness. I know that I am going to keep working hard to get out of my rut.
What would you like to see change in your life and how will you go about making that change?