Why does it seem so difficult at times to treat ourselves with the same kindness respect, and compassion that we show to others. How can we be truly kind to others if we are not genuinely kind to ourselves. Also, our treatment of ourselves is mirrored in the treatment that we show to other people, and the way that we treat ourselves tells others how we want to be treated.
How do we break the habit of not treating ourselves with kindness.
1) Decide that you will begin to start focusing on the positives instead of the negatives. Reflect each day on what you did right instead of the mistakes that you made. (Everyone makes mistakes. It is how we learn.)
2) Take time to do something that makes you happy. Instead of telling yourself that you are too busy or that it will cost too much, allow yourself to do something special. It is important to give yourself a treat.
3) Take care of both your physical and emotional well being. Eat a healthy diet, go out for a walk or a bike ride, and take time to sit quietly. Yoga and meditation are both activities that will help to calm you.
4) Be open to change. What you wanted in the past for your life may not be what is best for you now. Explore new possibilities and know that it may not only be okay to make a change, it may be the best thing that ever happened to you. Changes do not have to be big. Even small changes can make a difference in your well being.
5) Allow yourself to love and to be loved. Open your heart to the people around you, and open your heart to loving yourself. Even sharing a smile is something that not only makes others feel better, but can be a loving thing you can do for yourself.
Learning to treat yourself with kindness is like any other habit. It will take some work, but it will definitely be worth the effort.